Thursday 29 March 2018

Thursday 29 mar 2018 - Hive Project

Hello readers,

Temperatures today were up to 14°C, a beautiful day out in the afternoon and I had to restrain myself from opening the hive to see what's going on in there and move them into my boxes.
I was really keen on doing it but since the forecast for coming days isn't that good (lower temperatures again (8-11°C) with rainy days coming.

Still as a beginning beekeeper I'm keen on getting a look inside.  I actually made a call to a friend who'd like to learn first hand how to handle bees and if he had picked up the phone AND had time to come over, I might have done it.  Maybe some time next week...  We'll see if we have a good day then.

There was good activity near the hive.  Still mostly Yellow pollen being brought in.  But also some bees oriënting in front of the hive.

I went out to our bee-store to get some spacers and put them in place on my hive:



With the spacers in there I went from 30 frames to 26.  And I still need to take one out to put a devider in there.

I 've also put two strips of wood in the beginning and at the end of the hive and am now looking for a way to give the sides a more clean look.


On the bottom of the hive where I drilled the enterance I've screwed on a way to close off the hive:




Next up is cutting out a sheet of plastic to fit overtop the frames.  I've been thinking about using an insect screen (normally used to keep insects out of the house but create an airflow)
I'll see what I feel like when I get back to work.
I'll also need to buy some weather resistant cover...

I'll take this baby outside soon to install it.  I might want to do this before I move the bees over into my boxes, since the hive is to be placed in front of that hive.

I'll keep you posted.

Bob Out

Sites to visit - Nine Lectures on Bees - lecture one.

Hello readers, Today I'm having a look on another site that was gathering dust in my 'must browse here later' list. Today thi...