Tuesday 6 March 2018

Introduction.

Hello readers,

I'm a new beekeeper who's keen on starting this new hobby. I also want to keep notes as much as I can or think is needed where keeping bees is concerned.

Introduction:


Where did I pick up in interst in beekeeping?  Well I have always had an interest in nature.
I have a small vegetable garden out back, I have chickens, birds, a dog...
I guess for me bees where the next step.

I started browsing the internet and got lost rather quick in the overabundance supply of information. So many different ways to go about beekeeping! I concluded I would have to find my own way, based on what I could find.
I picked up some books about beekeeping and started reading.
 
After reading up on the subject I decided to take the step and become a beekeeper.  I looked around for a beekeeping club in my neighbourhood and signed up for a beekeeping course for beginners with that club.
I finished that course at the end of 2017 and started preparing for the real work.
I looked around to see what costs are to be expected to start keeping bees, hoped to stay on the cheap side, and so far I’ve managed that with buying second hand stuff and keeping my budget low.

What have I done so far:

  1.  I read loads of information on the internet.
  2.  I joined multiple facebook groups revolving around beekeeping and sometimes stumble on new ones.
  3.  I bought a couple of books and read more from the library.
  4.  I became member of Mellifica.be (a group that is trying to preserve and revive the european black bee - apis meliffica meliffica)
  5.  I started following a course and became a member of the beekeeping assosciation Deinze (that’s a place in Belgium 20’ out from where I live)
  6.  I bought 2 hives on the 2nd hand market for budget reasons. (no bees yet at that point)
  7. got a 6-frame nucleus for free as a thank you for helping out a local beekeeper!
  8.  I signed up to collect swarms in my area.
  9. I am preparing to put up YouTube video's on my channel but nothing up yet when posting this.

What to expect here:

This wil be the place where I put up short notes after looking at (my) bees. It might have some thoughts on how to tackle problems, brainstorming sessions...
If I don't forget I might put the links to my YouTube video's on here... 
Not sure if this format will please everybody, but it might turn out to be nothing more than a logbook...

That's it!
Bob Out

Sites to visit - Nine Lectures on Bees - lecture one.

Hello readers, Today I'm having a look on another site that was gathering dust in my 'must browse here later' list. Today thi...