Tuesday 6 March 2018

Tuesday 27 feb 2018

Hello readers,

It's been freezing all week.
As a gift for helping out a neighbour / beekeeper who fell and injured his arm I was presented with a 6-frame nuc with Buckfast bees. (He's like 2' walking away)

The frame size is Simplex :

A= 360 mm
B= 218 mm
C= 340 mm
D= 198 mm
E=  37,5 mm
CxD = 673 mm²

Where I have bought 2 Zander hives with frame sizes:
A= 420 mm
B= 220 mm
C=  400 mm
D= 191 mm
E=  30 mm (ish)
CxD = 764 mm²


We opened the nuc to put a feeder box in polystyrene on top containing water and sugardough feed.
After that we closed off the enterance to move it to my beestand.

The moving didn't become an issue since the new bees didn't fly yet this year and the old winterbees are going to die soon enough anyway.

One hour after moving the nuc to my home I opened the hive enterance. Some bees, 4-5 at most, came out to almost immediately paralyse and die in the cold..

I'm a beta tester for the buzzbox app and at 18:49 I get the status: Healthy.

That's it for today,
Bob Out

Sites to visit - Nine Lectures on Bees - lecture one.

Hello readers, Today I'm having a look on another site that was gathering dust in my 'must browse here later' list. Today thi...