Tuesday 27 March 2018

Tuesday 27 mar 2018 - continuation on the hive project.

Hello readers,

 Temperatures today were around 8°C, it was also raining during most of the day, from small drizzles to pleasant showers.  As is to be expected in weather like this there is no activity near the hive.

Around 16:00 I saw a bee fly out into the rain and two or three came to take a look at the hive enterance when I cleaned away some dead bees in front of the hive.  4 of them still had pollen on their legs...

I also continued on my hive project today!

As per my previous post the inner covers were wrapped :




As you can see they stick out a bit on the lower (right) side, but I don't think that'll be to much of a problem.








Instead of working on the outer cover I drilled a 5cm hole into the hive, slightly sloped and put a piece of pipe in there to prevent the bees from chewing on the insulation.























I fitted in some frames to see what it would look like:



There's 30 of them in there,  Might become 29 since I still need to figure out how to space them and line them up propperly.  Also, I'll need some sort of reducer that seals of an entire section of the hive so I can play around with how much room the bees have.

Next on my to do list is cleaning some 2nd hand stuff I got:



I'll be hunting down a battery to put some foundation in the frames after I wire them up.  (I have a car shop across the street from me, so I'll go ask for an old but still working one)  That'll be used to 'heat up the wires so the foundation will melt in.
I'm thinking of using strips of foundation, not entire frames.


Bob Out

Sites to visit - Nine Lectures on Bees - lecture one.

Hello readers, Today I'm having a look on another site that was gathering dust in my 'must browse here later' list. Today thi...