Tuesday 20 March 2018

Tuesday 20 mar 2018

Hello Readers,

Today I'd have liked to put up some pictures of me putting foundation in my frames after cleaning the frames up.  Allas I have no way of heating the wiring of my frames to melt the foundation in.  I asked the auto-shop near me if they had any working but old battery's around, but all of them were sitting there for a longer time and were dead.

Maximum temperatures today were around 8°C shortly after midday.  No activity near the hive.

To fill this blog I'll put up a videoclip from a couple of days back when the weather was good and the bees were out!:



Study on my 'long hive' or 'top bar hive' project:

I now know after browsing the www that bees will build comb in any space larger than 0.95 cm and will propolise spaces smaller than 0,64 cm.
Giving me an avarage of 0,8 cm to work with as 'bee space' + margin of error of 0,15 mm.
This is pretty narrow for me since I don't have very precise tools to work with.

I have also decided to put a thin sheet of plywood against my insulation material.  So I have some measuring to do and then I'll have to go out and buy some plywood (that hopefully can be cut at the store into the pieces that I need for more precise work)

Bob Out



Sites to visit - Nine Lectures on Bees - lecture one.

Hello readers, Today I'm having a look on another site that was gathering dust in my 'must browse here later' list. Today thi...