Monday 11 June 2018

sunday 10 jun 2018

Hello readers,

Weather Report:

06 june Wednesday we had temperatures up to 27°C and not a drop of rain.
07 june Thursday small shower in the early morning but it cleared up and temperatures rose again up to 27°C.
08 june Friday a bit cooler.  Only 25°C but no rain.
09 june Saturday, another dry day with temperatures up to 22,5°C
10 june : a lovely day again with temperatures up to 26°C but again, no rain.
If this keeps up the plants are going to dry out...

Hive Report:

Althoug I didn't open up any of my hives I did check my apiary on activity and filmed the bees with my phone.  Some footage is not as clear as it could be, with the wrong focus on there, but it's all I made...


The Simplex Nuc: I took a peek through the windows and I can say the bees are recovering from my intrusion.  They are building out comb in the top box and in the middle box there's some building going on aswell.  In front of the hive you can see pollen being brought in.  I feel good when I look at these bees.

The SS 1 2018: Since I can't look into the hive with a window I have to make due with what I see in front of the hive.  I still think the queen I introduced is doing well since there are some pollen being brought in.  There is more activity in front of the hive since I introduced her, so I'm hoping all goes well.  I need to figure out when and how to put these bees in a zander box again. (another split maybe?)

The SS 2 2018: Looking through the window I spotted a moth inside the hive.  She was on the frame with half foundation.  I hope the bees thrive and take care of any eggs or moths in there.  I do think there's one queencup near the window.  My hope is the bees will fight their way through time and produce a F2 Buckfast mated at home...  If not it's an option to bring in frames from the SS 1 2018.
But then I'll have 2 Black Queen hives.  We'll see how it goes first.

The PC 1 2018: I'm thinking these bees are not as active as my Simplex Nuc - but then again it's a swarm that's still building up.  I already regret not putting a viewscreen inside this hive.  I'm going to have to inspect these in the future to make sure all stores are in one direction from the brood nest before we go into winter.

Trapouts: I did not go out to take a look at my trap-out locations.  I'm going to have to wait to open up the TO 2 2018 again and look in my notes if it's time already to look into the TO 1 to hopefully find eggs and brood if not the queen herself.
I'll keep you posted!



Bob Out

Sites to visit - Nine Lectures on Bees - lecture one.

Hello readers, Today I'm having a look on another site that was gathering dust in my 'must browse here later' list. Today thi...