Tuesday 21 August 2018

Asian Hornets in Waregem

Hello readers,

No 'Weather Report' or 'Hive Report' today.  Only a simple message I got myself yesterday:

The Asian Hornet is near my hives!

A friend, working with the fire department, who exterminate wasps, contacted me.  He wanted to let me know they exterminated a Asian Hornets nest in the town I live.
In fact, although he didn't give me the exact adress, the nest couldn't have been more than 750m away from my 2nd hivestand!

What's worse is that they think there is a secondary nest in the area.  So guess what I'll be doing next time I'm at my hives.  Stake out the entrances and walk from tree to tree to look inside the branches... See if I can spot any of these two:



Let's hope our bees adapt quick enough so they can fight this threat themselves!
If worst comes to be true, we all might have to say goodbye to the apis mellifera and work with the apis cerana instead.
It can live with varroa and already knows how to deal with this hornet.
All we can do is hope the apis mellifera can adapt as well (or better) to both current threats as did her cousin.

Bob Out.

Sites to visit - Nine Lectures on Bees - lecture one.

Hello readers, Today I'm having a look on another site that was gathering dust in my 'must browse here later' list. Today thi...